Airports are high-security zones. Unlike other public places, security of Airports cannot be avoided. The security officers give no privilege to celebrities or other high profile personality.
Though Celebrities all around the world enjoys enormous facilities that are provided to them. Celebs are no common man. They don’t go to shopping or markets every now and then like us. They live in a larger than life situation. High profile house, cars and even high profile schools for their kids. But when it comes to security issues at public places like an airport than there is no match. A celebrity and a common man is treated in the same way under security reason. Recently there were stories about the detention of Bollywood stars at the international airport. Some has been detained unnecessarily and some due to some absurd reason. Let’s take look at the situations.
10 top Bollywood Stars who faced detention at the airport
- Shahrukh Khan– the Badshah of Bollywood, acknowledged across the world is a regular name for such issues. Shahrukh Khan has faced detention at international airports 3 times until now. 2009, 2012, and 2016 being the latest of them all. Shahrukh Khan was detained at the Los Angeles International Airport in the year 2016 where he faced humiliation even after co-operating at his best with the security officials. Though it is a regular phenomenon when it comes to the common man these situations catch the limelight when celebrities are involved.
- Aamir Khan– another Khan Adds to the story, the perfectionist of Bollywood industry also faced such detentions at an international airport. It all happened in 2002 when he was detained and frisked in Chicago International Airport. He was not only detained but also strip searched.
- Shilpa Shetty Kundra- she was detained by the immigration officers when she was about to board her Germany bound flight. It was a reaction of a lookout notice filed on her by a Rajasthan court for obscenity charges for kissing Hollywood Star Richard Gere in Public. The ruling left her with no options to leave her country, India. Though she was already being freed of the said charges by Supreme Court of India still it took time for the immigration officers to understand.
- Anushka Sharma– she was detained at Mumbai airport by the customs department when she crossed the green channel. The customs officer anticipated that she has something in her hand purse. She asking she denied the fact. Later on it was found that she was carrying gold jewelry worth 45 lakhs, and two rings worth 9lakhs. On further investigation she answered that she has already declared it while she was traveling for Canada and all these pieces of jewelry were bought from India and no taxes should be charged for the same. Later the shop owner from whom she claimed to buy the jewelry in India, was also summoned at the airport for further investigation.
- John Ibrahim- in the year 2009, John Ibrahim also had to face the same at New York airport for a bizarre reason. He was detained at the airport by the security officials on the charge of traveling to Afghanistan previously.
- Later John confirmed that he too was detained at the airport and was asked strange questions regarding his trip to Afghanistan and was detained for six long hours at the airport. Though he not given many details about this incident as he did not want any publicity on this matter.
- Bipasha Basu– though her retention was not that unnecessary though. She was being detained while returning from her London trip. She was seen, carrying a large shopping bag with her and the security officials soon grabbed her. On her claim that she had less luggage space and she had bought many things from London that she is carrying in her handbag. She also produced a bill where she has already paid Rs. 12,000 on duty charges. Soon she was left from the airport.
- Irrfan Khan- not one but several times Irrfan has been detained at various international airports namely, Los Angeles 2008 and New York 2009 simultaneously. When asked about the embarrassment he feels when detained at the airport he answered, it’s mostly because of his surname that he is being suspected. He avoids to use his surname Khan in films or other places of work but in passport, there is a strong requirement of surname and religion. Irrfan has to travel internationally as he is also a known face in Hollywood where he has gained popularity for his films like Inferno, Life of Pi, Jurassic World, and the Oscar-winning movie Slumdog Milliner.
- Kabir Khan– this brilliant filmmaker was also not spared from this humiliation process. Kabir Khan was detained by the immigration officers for a whirred reason. While he was traveling to Los Angeles to Washington, he was talking to a co-passenger in Hindi, on hearing his language, the immigration officer claims it to be some strange language. He immediately detained Kabir and check for any terrorist records on the internet against him and then let him go when freed of charges.
- Neil Nitin Mukesh– a well-known face in Bollywood, Neil Nitin Mukesh was detained in New York airport by the officials for being too fair to be an Indian. His Physique and skin tone is a boon for him but shattered him at the airport. He repeatedly attempted to make the officials understand of her Indian origin but they failed to understand. According to them, Indians cannot be this fair in complexion. Nitin further said that the incident changed his attitude of how he was to approach his role in ‘New York’, which also dwelt upon discrimination.
- Kamal Haasan– veteran actor Kamal Haasan was also detained by in international airports at America. He was suspected as his name has a resemblance with the Muslim religion. Kamal said that he frequently gets into the interrogation by US immigration department. The actor feels that just because they are doing business with America they think we are questionable.Haasan also added that if we’re so touchy about immigration rules in America, we shouldn’t be doing business with them.