Directors of Bollywood always took interest in Indian Political Film. We have witnessed state of the art political movies till date, some of which revolved around stories of freedom fighters and leaders but, the films about which we are going to talk about today deals with Politics and how the power of Politics is utilized and practiced by different leaders or politicians during their regime.
Bollywood film industry has given us epic political films throughout its conception. Indian Politics is so immense and less known to common people, films are a medium of showing the inner story which runs inside Indian Politics. This topic has always excited and interested common man and depicted the way of work, their family, hidden truth of some great leaders of their time through biographies as well. A few past movies which showed Indian politics at its best were, Sarkar, Nayak, Undu-Sarkar, The insignificant man and the list goes on.
Once again before the general elections of 2019, Bollywood is set to release a few numbers of political films which are mostly biopic on highly influential political leaders of all time. Considerably these films may project its effect on the upcoming election. Though the public is eager to see the Indian Political scenario from a very close point whereas, such movies are gathering a lot of legal and political issues. Let’s hope such raw showcase of politics through films could make it to the theaters.
Upcoming Indian Political movies to be released in 2019
- The Accidental Prime Minister– this is the much talked about movie of the lot. It has attracted many legal issues as well. Talking about the film, it is based on a memoir By Indian Policy Analyst Sanjay Baru, who worked (2004-2008) as the media advisor to the Then Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh. The book which was written by Sanjay Baru shows the situation of Dr. Manmohan Singh and how he was not in full control of his cabinet or even the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO).
Baru further explained the power and involvement of the Congress party President Sonia Gandhi to whom Singh was completely “subservient”. “There cannot be two centre of power”, Baru remembers Singh explaining to him, “That creates confusion. I have to accept that the party president is the centre of power. The government is answerable to the party.”
On release of Baru’s Book, the PMO released a statement the day The Accidental Prime Minister was released, dismissing the veracity of the memoir, “It is an attempt to misuse a privileged position and access to high office to gain credibility and to apparently exploit it for commercial gain. The commentary smacks of fiction and colored views of a former adviser. Baru’s reply to the PMO’s charges was “I am amused.” Baru told The Indian Express “most of the book is positive (about the PM)” and that he wrote it mainly because Singh “has become an object of ridicule, not admiration. I am showing him as a human being, I want there to be empathy for him.
- Iron Lady- is a biopic on the Late Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalitha. This biopic will be directed by Priyadarshini as announced last year. Varalaxmi Sarathkumar will be seen playing the role of Jayalalitha.
As the title of the film suggests, it will depict the political issues of Tamil Nadu during her regime and the way Jayalalitha dealt with the issues in hand. She was remarked as a great lady in power and was loved by her pupil. Though Jayalalitha was formerly related to Indian cinema, that side of the story may not get a chance to showcase in the film. This may also reveal the truth behind her demise, which is a mystery to many of us.
- THACKERAY–Bal Keshav Thackrey, an eminent name in the world of politics, who formed the Shiv Sena Party in Maharashtra was a very strong character, both personally and politically. Late Bal Keshav Thakrey was known as the supremo of Shiv Sena Party. He had influenced Indian politics during his regime. Loved by his pupil in Maharashtra and around the country, he was a leader of power and principal.
A biopic is planned to surface on him which will be led by Nawasuddin Siddhiki as Bal Thackrey. It’s a bilingual film made simultaneously in Hindi and Marathi. This may uncover many aspects of Bal Thackrey’s way of life, his take on politics and his influence in Maharashtra. Previously we had a chance of seeing him through a movie called Sarkar. But this time a total biopic is presented to us. Amrita Rao is said to be the leading lady in this movie.
- NTR Kathanayakudu–is a biopic on yet another influential actor turned political leader, N.T. Rama Rao, who was the biggest cultural icon of the country, famously known as NTR. In his biopic, we will get to see the life long journey of the leader which started off as an actor for nearly 5 decades and simultaneously his journey towards Indian politics. It is a Telegu film produced by Nandamuri Balakrishnan Sai Korrapati Ranganathan, Vishnu Induri under NBK Films. The film was set to release on 9th January 2019.
The biopic has been made in two parts, NTR: Kathanayakudu and NTR: Mahanayakudu. As scheduled the first part will be releasing on 9th January, the second part will be in cinemas on February 7, this year. The film has a star-studded cast, including Balakrishna and Bollywood A-lister Vidya Balan. While Balakrishna has played his father NTR, Vidya has essayed the role of NTR’s wife Basavatarakam.
Rana Daggubati, Nandamuri Kalyan Ram, Daggubati Raja, and Bharath Reddy among others have played pivotal roles in the biopic. Radha Krishna Jagarlamudi aka Krish has helmed two-part biopic, which is co-produced by Balakrishna.
- PM Narendra Modi– this biopic is on our India’s current Prime Minister Narendra Damodardas Modi. The lead role in this film will be played by Vivek Oberoi. The first look of the movie is showcased and people are eager to know more about it. Narendra Modi being an inspiration to many across the country and globe is a man of who have seen struggle and success in like. It is a bilingual film shot in 23 different languages.