Smoothies have gained popularity worldwide for its beneficiary properties and good taste. People opt for smoothies over unhealthy fizzy drinks. Today we are more concerned about health and consider eating healthy foods.
Smoothies are made by crushing soft fruits and vegetable with a base which can be milk, soy milk, almond milk, yogurt, coconut water and milk, ice and ice cream. Smoothies have a smooth, creamy and rich texture and are heavy and not runny in consistency which is served chilled. Smoothies provide nutrition along with high dietary fiber as it contains crushed fruits or vegetables. Fruits both dried and fresh are used to make smoothies. Though using fresh or dry fruits alters the texture of smoothies. Dry fruits will give much thick body to a smoothie whereas fresh fruit can give a much watery texture as it contains a high amount of water. To enhance taste and texture you may use a combination of fresh and dried fruits and vegetables. for making it a healthier option fruits and vegetables like carrots, apple, grapes, kale, cucumber, beetroot can be added.
Beverages, unlike smoothies are runny in texture. It is advisable not to consume packaged beverages which contain added sugar and preservatives. Only freshly extracted beverages should be consumed.
Though smoothies and beverages are no science like baking, it can be altered according to preference and liking. Any fruit or bunch of fruits in desired quantity mixed with a base along with honey and ice could be blended to make a tastier smoothie. Customization is the key to smoothie making.
Here are some ideas for smoothie recipes
1. Blueberry banana smoothie: blend 1 banana, 1 cup blueberries,1/2cup unsweetened coconut milk, 1 tablespoon each of honey and lime juice, ¼ teaspoon of almond extract and ice.
2. Watermelon smoothie: freeze 3 cups of deseeded watermelons and blend it with half of lime juice and ice and serve with bite-sized watermelon cubes.
3. Pineapple: Coconut Smoothie: freeze few cubes of coconut water, blend it with pineapple flesh, add a zest of lemon and honey along with ice cubes of coconut water and plain coconut water.
4. Carrot- Apple smoothie: add sliced apple and carrot with almond milk with honey to make a smooth paste-like consistency add crushed ice and a bit of ginger for taste enhancement.
5. Banana–Date-Lime: blend 2 bananas, ¾ cup chopped pitted dates, juice of 1 lime and 1 ½ cup of soy milk and ice.
Experiments can always be made during making a cup of smoothie according to taste preference. Make a healthier choice of eating and drinking to promote good health and a better quality of life. Let us know some benefits of smoothies:
Benefits of smoothies
• Rich in fiber: when raw fruits and vegetables are crushed together to form a smooth paste then it becomes rich in fiber content as no extract is taken out from the mixture. This roughage act for cleaning the intestinal residue hence aiding a smooth bowel movement.
• A power house of antioxidants: as we know antioxidants are mostly present in raw and ripe fruits, and smoothies are a great source of antioxidants as we can easily add fruits which are rich in antioxidants like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and so on.
• Increases immunity: as the proverb says “an apple a day keep the doctor away”. Regular consumption of fruits and raw vegetables increases immune system which keeps us away from chronic diseases.
• Healthy weight loss: smoothies are a great option for healthy weight loss programs. It can provide the required nutrition to the body with fewer calories piling up.
• Less craving for food: due to its heavy consistency and high on fiber content, smoothies make us feel heavy for a longer period of time. This lessens the craving for food thus helps in avoiding overeating.
• Healthy skin: Smoothies are a good source of vitamins and minerals which help in maintaining glowing skin as it contains carotenoids, Regular consumption of smoothies can show results in skin repair and other health benefits.
• Detox your body: as smoothies are rich in nutritional ingredients, it can be a great way to detox your body and get read of all harmful toxins from the body. Foods like papaya, garlic, and beets can purify blood and help the liver to get rid of toxin more effectively.